We've been pretty active over the past week, here. First, Emily stopped by to see if we could help her with an idea she had. That's my favorite question in the whole wide world, and the answer is always, yes! She has an old guitar case and wants to turn it into a wall mounted jewelry cabinet. Hmmmm. I never met a project I didn't like.
My first thought was to do it out of wood. But, that wouldn't have been very inclusive since I'd have to make it at home. I also wanted to use materials that could be cut right here at the store. Aha! Old books!
Luckily I have a pretty badass paper cutter that can make quick work of those thick covers.
Then, we scored the back sides of the covers for the contoured portions of her framework.
This thing is getting crazy! She didn't know what she was getting herself into.
Clamps, for Pete's sake! I taught her the art of clamping and glueing. We finished our three days together with the first drawer, shaped like the bottom curve of the guitar.
Emily is out of state for the summer, but we'll be resuming the build in August. Good times!
Shortly after that we got cleaned out of our stash of bottle lamps. I whipped up the first four-light pendant chandelier, which I think came out pretty cool.
And now, all sights are set on Renegade. Only 5 weeks away. Lots to do!
In between cutting bottles, I'm jumping back and forth between the workbench and the cash register, then to the computer, helping customers and searching for new design inspiration on the net.
I need to keep expanding our artwork inventory for the luminaries as I want to be loaded up for Renegade, in July. A customer came in asking about some cool liquor bottles and our "Cigar Lounge" luminary. I think it came out pretty cool. This will wrap around the glass and look pretty smart in her little cigar lounge setting that she's creating for her husband's birthday party.
The bottle cutting wasn't going so well, yesterday afternoon, as I wound up breaking a bunch of bottles. I think the heat was too much and I need to dial that down from now on. I searched the dumpster behind my favorite architecture firm for cardboard tubes that hold blueprints. The bottles fit perfectly inside, so they'll serve beautifully for packaging.
Here are two more bottles I made yesterday. They blew up on Facebook. It's always good when that happens.
The plant is up and running with our first release of customizable luminarias. They're starting to sell right out from under us before we even finish the prototypes. And, we've got orders for more, on the way. These are the first few designs we have that can be all customizable.
I threw together some more lamps for the store and after placing them on our online shop the phone started ringing. First, the owner of 4 restaurants in Ohio wants 15 for his newest eatery, and I'm doing two for "Lisa's" basement bar. She's deciding between these two bottle choices for her set.